Monday, February 4, 2013

Lambing season


Lambing season. 
I've been hunched over the drafting table and hunkered down at the computer for days and days.

 So when Becky and Lori invited us to Lori's barn, where lambs had been born "just last night!" I was literally jumping for joy.

"YES!!!"



I even got to snuggle with the newborn lamb on the right... She fell asleep on my lap!


 It's been raining... 
and raining...
and raining...


So the pastures are full of water and oozing mud. 
Lori had "adventures" bringing the mamas and babies in from the field.

She's guessing nine or ten more will be born any minute now.


Such soft fuzz, pink little ears.


Their skinny newborn legs like tiny miracles...


Mr. Wonderful almost glowed...
Oh, the beauty of new life,
of spring just barely on the horizon!


Lambing season.
Smitten again, as if I'd never seen a sheep before.


"I might," said Lori, "have a tiny one who needs to be someone's pet."
Gulp.


11 comments:

Sharon Hermens said...

Oh, how sweet!! They are precious!!

Debbie said...

Wonderful photos, Sharyn ;- ) Thanks for sharing this wonder with us. Something we don't usually get to see. I'll take a baby, ha ha. Maybe not, coyotes just went after my 50 lb. dog (he's fine, not hurt at all.) I live in the far suburbs of Chicago even, but they are too hungry to have a lamb around I'd have to litter train it, ha ha!

Sharyn Sowell said...

Vickie said...

Thanks for brightening my day. All I can say is Ohhhhh.....
Baby lambs are so sweet.

Sharyn Sowell said...

Sarah said...

So love this! So sweet and tender, thank you.

Sharyn Sowell said...

Debbie said...

Wonderful photos, Sharyn ;- ) Thanks for sharing this wonder with us. Something we don't usually get to see. I'll take a baby, ha ha. Maybe not, coyotes just went after my 50 lb. dog (he's fine, not hurt at all.) I live in the far suburbs of Chicago even, but they are too hungry to have a lamb around I'd have to litter train it, ha ha!

Sharyn Sowell said...

Barb said...


Sharyn,

I want a lamb, too!! The fur on that little one is precious. I loved the picture of Russell with it.

Love, Barb

Sharyn Sowell said...

MaryLou said...

they are so SWEET, what a treasure to have the neighbors you have. i hope you are well and have plenty of work to keep you busy.
hugs to you Sharyn.
sincerely,
marylou

Jeri Landers said...

And did they leap about 4 feet into the air? They really are amazing little creatures.I miss my little lambs, now they are just big wooly gluttons! You can't have one sheep, you must take two... they like to have a pal. DO it!

Sherrie Spangler said...

This is so sweet! They're so pretty and pure looking.

Sharyn Sowell said...

Baby lambs are so sweet and wonderful. When I was a young girl we always had baby lambs are our house. Loved your pictures of them, they brought back such great memories. If you get the chance to have one for a pet, take it!!

Diane Knott said...

Oh, so precious! Sharyn, on our 1st trip to England, we were driving around the twisting, hedgerow-lined lanes in the West Country and came upon a farmer & his wife herding their flock across the road. We stopped to watch and wait and Mrs. Farmer picked up a lamb and brought it to our car and plunked it onto our driver's lap! When we got out of the car, the sheep dogs came over for a visit too! What special memories...just like these you just had! :-)
Hugs! Diane