Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Tulip time


I give you fair warning. I am about to gush. 
Shamelessly.


Today was my annual day given over to wandering in the bulb fields and as usual I was completely intoxicated with color, the play of light and the overwhelming beauty of this precious valley I call home.




Jane Shasky, my talented friend (click here to see her work) and I spent the day in the fields. She was as bad as I, stopping to smell every hyacinth and laying down in the mud to get just the right shot for reference.



The glories of springtime were more amazing than ever.


It's almost impossible to choose a favorite bloom.
Will this year's favorite be pink?
Yellow?
Blue?
Or a combination?







Barns and old wood fences complement the blossoms perfectly.


Tractors hum along with the bees. There are many places more sophisticated than the Skagit Valley, but none more beautiful.


And never better than in springtime.
Can this really be just a short bike ride from my driveway?


We trundle home satisfied and inspired. 
These brilliant colors are seeping into my work.
Peeks tomorrow.


Oh, what inspiration lies just around the bend.
Look for the magic. 
There are miracles in your neighborhood, too.

17 comments:

Jane Shasky said...

Hey there my friend,
It WAS the most perfect day...there is no such thing as taking too many photos, I think we proved that today!
So glad we finally had our time with the tulips in your gorgeous valley. Hugs, Jane

Sharyn Sowell said...

Kitty says:

Breathtaking Sharyn! Wish I was there to wander the fields with you. Your photos capture the magic of it all.

willowbasketmaker.com said...

Beautiful photos Sharyn!

jane maday said...

How lovely! How lucky you are! And what a great photo of you and Jane!

Debbie said...

Simply beautiful, Sharyn. Thanks so much for the inspiration and beauty.

Caroline Simas said...

Stunning, gorgeous, amazing and yet another reason to be grateful to our Creator this Easter. Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!
xoxo
Caroline

Sharyn Sowell said...

From Sharon A:
Love it, love it, love, love, love it!!

From Leslie:
oh I am so jealous! What beauty!!!! both the flowers and my friends!!
I miss you both!!!
HOw are you both? How is work going? Jane, how is your house
coming along?

We are expecting 28 people for dinner on Sunday. I am busy cleaning
the house and planning the MEAL of the year. hahaha
I bought some flowers too... only not a field of them.. Did you get
to bring home some tulips?

momto2wasd said...

So beautiful! I've never gone to the tulip festival, which seems wrong, since it's only an hour and a half from here. It's always seemed too hard for me to try with my (autistic) kids. My one son would want to tear apart all the flowers, though I know he'd love them!

Mrs. Santos said...

How lovely! I have never been to see the tulips, though they aren't that far from me. I wonder about the crowds. It seems like there wasn't another soul around but you and your friend. Thank you for sharing such COLOR.

Sharyn Sowell said...

Kim writes:
Thanks for the wonderful pics. No place more beautiful than Skagit Valley in bloom.
Warm Regards,
Kim

Mickey writes:
Thank you for letting me share our world there with our relatives here - since I can't take the pictures myself. Triple love them! But still - not homesick. :)

Sharyn Sowell said...

Pam's message:
FABULOUS! What wonderful memories these pictures help me to remember when I spent sometime with you many years ago during Tulip Time.

Happy Easter to your family!
Christ is Risen, INDEED!
Love!
Pam

Diane said...

GUSHING ALLOWED!! Gorgeous photos! And the two of you are quite a pretty pair too!!
Hugs, Diane

Sally said...

Absolutely breathtaking. Thanks so much for sharing.

Summer said...

Names!!! I need NAMES!!! Those tulips have me drooling. I am dying to visit your bucolic spring valley and fantastic studio one year. Maybe mom will let me.
--Summer

Summer said...

Names! I need NAMES!!! Those tulips have me drooling...Maybe some year mom will let me come visit you in spring with her.

Content in a Cottage said...

Sharon..The beauty you have captured is unreal. You live in a beautiful valley. xo, Rosemary

whimsybeams said...

This looks like the perfect way to spend a day :)