Friday, May 25, 2012

My art goes to the Big City


I went to New York to show my art
and it was really, really, really, really good.


The booth looked good 
and people responded.

Glory be. 
It happened again!


Every year I hold my breath. 

Now that I'm home, I am laughing about how many New York City icons
I snapped with my camera.

Here's a whirlwind trip around the City, spotting icons:


Hailing a cab with friends.

The predominant colors of yellow (as in cabs and street signals) and black (as in garbage bags piled up for collection.



Night-time in the city that never sleeps.
There are swankier digs but Mr. Wonderful and I loved the ice cream at the Shake Shack.

And on the theme of eating, another New York icon is the food carts.
This I truly love.


Do not ask if I really eat here. 
I definitely do!


The ones in Central Park are so scenic...


And Central Park itself is iconic at every turn.




You could get a crick in your neck looking up. But how could you resist?

Better balance it by loving the manhole covers and other wonders at your feet.




Or notice the sprinklers on buildings everywhere. 
Is it just me or do they look like faces? 

I am sincerely considering bringing a pair of red-hot-mama lips cut out and ready to tape in place next year. 


Doormen are iconic New York.
Street vendors.
Subways.

Ditto Radio City Music Hall, Rockefeller Center and Times Square.




And in the end, after the crowds and noise and excitement...


home again in one's own little nest.
What a contrast.


10 comments:

Sharyn Sowell said...

Mary Lou said...

sharyn, i am so VERY happy for you . your great spirit and loving heart has made you the great artist that you are today and i am so blessed to see it work. congratulations on a fine show. i would be scared to death in the big city... but you always see the wonder in everything. WHAT A GIFT you have and thanks for bringing it to me , thanks for this blog and you are a tonic for my soul.
yours truly,
marylou

jone hallmark said...

Oh Sharyn - I am so glad that the show was so good - again! - for you!
It has been so long since I was last there, I hardly remember it. You are courageous to keep on keepin' on!
I would love to see you sometime - guess I'll have to get myslef up your way....

xoxo

Sharyn Sowell said...

Linda said...

Oh Sharyn , thanks for sharing your trip to New York. I have eaten from the street carts also, I loved the pretzels and souvalacky ( spelled as I say it. lol) I got to go there where my husband would go on trips. I would walk around Manhattan while he worked. The sites and smell are truly unique to that city. take care friend and have a happy life.
Linda

Sharyn Sowell said...

Jone said...

Oh Sharyn - I am so glad that the show was so good - again! - for you!
It has been so long since I was last there, I hardly remember it. You are courageous to keep on keepin' on!
I would love to see you sometime - guess I'll have to get myslef up your way....

xoxo

Heather Davulcu said...

Sharyn-your booth looks fabulous-just like you!
I was there but it was such a quick trip-I missed seeing you! I must say I am still exhausted!!
Love your blog-and you beautiful art too.
xo-Heather

Heather Davulcu said...

Sharyn-your booth looks fabulous-just like you!
I was there but it was such a quick trip-I missed seeing you! I must say I am still exhausted!!
Love your blog-and you beautiful art too.
xo-Heather

Marqueta (Mar-keet-a) said...

Dear Sharyn,

I'm so happy that you had another successful show; I definitely think you should bring lips next year! :)

Love,

Marqueta

p.s. Just between us, your last photo was the most appealing to me, somehow!

Caroline Simas said...

sweet friend- your booth looked amazing! Hate I couldn't exhibit and be there with you all this year! Loved all the NYC photos too. That place is certainly a source for inspiration but I agree, I love your last photo...there's not place like home!
xoxo,
Caroline

Alex Colombo said...

I'm so glad the show went so well for you too! I tried several times to say hi when I went by your booth but you were always so busy with some clients!! Your art is truly beautiful!

Jeri Landers said...

Ah, there's no place like home. I felt a sense of relief when I saw the barn. I am so NOT a CITY gal. We went to NY 2 years ago for a book award ceremony and I couldn't wait to leave. My son lives there too, and I never visit him! Shame on me! Oh well, I am so happy you had a successful show, you deserve it!