Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The gift of quietness


Our culture is so hurried.
So frenzied with activity.
So loud.


Which might be why it's been so hard for me to embrace the gift of quietness.
 I've been forced to slow down and be quieter lately.

It seems that my chronic voicelessness is going on and on and on. 

My doctors are not sure what's causing it and I have shed a few tears.



But I'm turning the corner, determined to learn to see even this as a gift.

To let my weakness teach me the joy of silent reflection
and make me the best listener you ever met.

To be grateful for a good therapist, for an hour when I can speak fairly well.

I'm embracing the humility of learning the simplest things,
like how to breathe properly and I'm learning greater compassion for others.


We all have weak areas, don't we?

We can choose to turn those areas of pain and weakness into a gift.


There's always a bright side, and I'm embracing the beauty of peace and quiet inside and out.

May you, my friend, be given the grace to find the beauty in your weaknesses, too.

That's one more thing to be thankful for when we count our blessings next month.

6 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

Oh no! While I treasure a good listener and love the sound of silence, I hope your doctors can figure out what's wrong.

revivalbristolri said...

Weeping with you...and praying for complete healing. You may be non-verbal but you will never be "voiceless", your artwork, your writing, and your beautiful photography speaks volumes to the thirsty souls on the receiving end of your gifts.

Sharyn Sowell said...

MaryLou said...

you make the sweetest lemonade out of your lemons. every blog you share brightens my day . what a GIFT you are.
hugs,
marylou

Sharyn Sowell said...

Dear friends,

Thank you. I so appreciate your kind words. I hope I am learning valuable lessons, and will be all the more compassionate and thoughtful because of the bumps in my life's road. We all have them but I know the important thing is to be humble and let the pain deepen us and turn our difficulties into strengths. I know God is with me always!

Sharyn

Sharyn Sowell said...

Donna said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. May God bless you in every way possible. You are such an inspiration to me. I look forward to all of your posts and your ability to see beauty in everything. Many hugs and prayers. Donna Hurst

Sara said...

Gosh, this is quite life-changing! I am praying for you, my friend . . .