Thursday, January 3, 2013

Seeds of hope in winter


 Do you ever find yourself feeling frozen inside?
Resembling a forgotten watering can left outside, forgotten in the corner of summer's lush garden gone barren and brown?


Like winter has invaded, freezing out hope and leaving behind a world steeped in chill gray?


I haven't spoken normally for six long months.

These months of forced silence have been drab in some ways, cold and isolated.



But when you look closer at a garden or a life, the frozen times are full of life laying dormant...

the seeds of beautiful things to come. 


 If we look closer, even in the frost, the seeds are waiting.

For a plant to grow, the seeds have to fall into the ground and wait in the dark.


For a life to grow, sometimes the seeds of faith are watered with tears, laying dormant for a season.
What looks hopelessly dead today will spring to life.

So it is with hope.


 It's normal to want to skip over the hardships...


 to wish life were always summer, always easy...


 but the frost has a beauty all its own


and hearts that persevere through the wintery chill of difficulty have their roots sunk deep into faith and gratitude and compassion.


Even while the frost is thick
and life feels so frozen,

there is the knowledge...


the rock solid, absolute faith,
the confidence of good things preparing to burst forth.




But meanwhile,
there is beauty in winter, too.

In waiting.
In sure and quiet hope.


16 comments:

Sara said...

To my thinking the frost enhances the beauty . . . may it be so in your life too.

Sharon Hermens said...

Beautifully spoke, Sharyn. Spring will come as surely as the sun will rise.

Diane Knott said...

Sharyn, your words remind me of the "Footprints" poem....

Those times of frost, of when we only see one set of footprints in the sand....we know what's really happening, don't we.

Hope.

Hope for you, my friend!

Hugs, Diane

sharond said...

Sharon,
Beautiful words along with your always beautiful photographs. You are inspiring.

Wishing you all good things for the new year and that the trials you are presented with soon pass.

Best,
Another Sharon

Sharyn Sowell said...

Thank you, dear friends. Hope is a wonderful thing! Where would we be without it?

So wonderful to be able to enjoy the winter even as we look ahead longingly to a thaw. I am told my voice will never be normal and I know that whether it is or not, I will always speak loudly through my art, photography and writing.

But I hope for a miracle and know that anything can happen. I may yet speak out loud! I am learning not to take anything for granted... savoring the gifts of sight, smell, sound... and praying for the gift of a healed voice.

Terri Conrad said...

Sweet, sweet Sharyn,

and the sheer beauty that emerges from absolute faith while we wait, and while we journey through the winters of our life is so much richer, colorful and full of life than that of the "always summers." My wish is that more of us would have the courage to weather the storm, holding on to hope, holding onto faith. YOU are precious and you are surrounded with His love and light.

Your words, your photographs, YOUR GIFTS are splendid.

with all my heart,
Terri

Sharyn Sowell said...

Janis said...

Love this, Sharyn; it touched a tender spot

Sharyn Sowell said...

Donna said...

Dear Sharyn, Thank you for your post today. I am really touched by it and I shed many tears. It was what I needed this morning. I stopped saying "why me" and got busy doing what I could about my situation. Many things in our lives we cannot change, but we always have to remember that God loves us and there is a reason for everything. Thank you for sharing all of your talents with everyone. I will always be grateful to you. Thank again Donna

Kristi said...

Once again, you've made everything look a little brighter. I just had to jot this line down..."seeds of beautiful things to come." So glad I came!

Sharyn Sowell said...

Dale said...

Beautiful pictures beautiful thoughts. You are blessed & a blessing.

Sharyn Sowell said...

Barbara said...

I read this with tears in my eyes!!!!

Sharyn Sowell said...

MaryBeth said...

But the frost has a beauty all its own." Beautifully said...and lived.

Sharyn Sowell said...

MaryBeth said...

But the frost has a beauty all its own." Beautifully said...and lived.

Sharyn Sowell said...

Jane said...

beautiful Sharyn, absolutely beautiful. You inspire me!

Sharyn Sowell said...

Linda said...

Sharyn, you really inspire me to see the beauty in little, simple things. You've got me taking pictures of frozen spider webs and raspberry vines from my I-Pad.

Sharyn Sowell said...

Janny said...

Sharyn,
I sent your blog to my friend who is in a wheel chair and has constant pain. She has had lots of surgeries on her hip. They have said nothing more can be done for the horrible pain. I knew your blog would be an encouragement to her like it is to me. Thanks so much.