Monday, November 13, 2017

Santa's Workshop Now Open




When the blustery days arrive, it's time to begin the Christmas preparations.

For me, that is just another way of saying "shut the doors and make presents in secret!"
Piles of detritus cover every surface. 
Knitting peeks out of my larger-than-usual handbag, to be pulled out and worked on at odd moments wherever I am.
Recipes for marmalade and fresh citrus wait on the kitchen counter.


Because for me, if it isn't homemade, it's not a "real" gift I'm putting under the tree.
I don't spend money for ready made presents often... I shop for ingredients and spend love.

This week it's felted headbands for the little girls on my list.
Want to try some? It's so easy!


I used two dies from Spellbinders Paper Arts but you can easily snip your flowers freehand with an ordinary scissors.

I begin with a rectangle 9"X4", folded in half lengthwise to 9"X2" and stitched around the edges.


Cut little flowers from felt. My friend Debi Adams designed this die called Oopsy Daisy and  this one called Hydrangea Florets for Spellbinders Paper Arts. You will want bright colors. I just used plain ordinary cheap felt but if you can find real wool felt in lovely shades, go for it! It feels fabulous.

Cut plenty of flowers and play with layers until you're happy. Stitch them on with pretty embroidery floss. You can experiment with little dainty stitches if you like. I have lots of ideas for you on my Pinterest board for felt. Add beads and sequins (little girls love bling!)


When you're finished, add a piece of elastic to secure on both ends. Your length can vary but I usually like something around 8-9" depending on the child's head size.


And that's it~ another gift (or three or four!) to tuck under your tree.
Don't you just love having your own Santa's Workshop? 
So much nicer than shopping!