Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Inspired flight


Wouldn't it be wonderful to fly?
Don't you long to soar on the currents and look down on tree tops?

Perhaps that's why I treasure the snow geese that overwinter here.


I savor the beating of their wings at sunset as I jog along our country road...


the glow of feathers against chocolate-colored fields, as they honk and forage for leftover potatoes...

feet hanging down as they land, patches of black contrasting against their white bodies.


Sometimes I stand along the road just looking and listening.

Such oddly graceful birds, so strangely balanced you wonder how it is that they perform such a magnificent ballet of flight. And yet they do.


Snow geese are visual poetry for me. 

I find so much beauty right in my own backyard. Changing seasons reveal new fascinations and each sunset brings the close of another day of miracles.