Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A wild life

One of my favorite cheap thrills is savoring small miracles over and over.

Isn't that why we sketch and photograph and soak ourselves in beauty? 
So we can recall it all later.


Mountain vistas...
... and tiny living things observed closely...






Observing nature is the perfect way to pick a great color palette, 
though I admit to getting lost in the details of bug eyes or flower stamens.



Sometimes I get so busy with the details that I forget to look up and be dazzled.
 
Life has its harsh realities (this poor fish in the claws of an osprey reminded me of that rather unfortunate metaphor!) but even there we see majesty.


Sometimes it's essential to simply sit still and listen to birdsong and the whisper of wind in the trees.


And then we're off again!
We can all probably agree with A.A. Milne, who said, "the world is so full of a number of things, I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings."


8 comments:

Sharon Hermens said...

Thank you for those words of wisdom. Wish I was there to see up close what those wonderful pictures depict. You are on my mind and heart lately.

Lady Farmer said...

Awesomely beautiful! I especially like the photo of the bug ~ incredible!

Marqueta (Mar-keet-a) said...

Dear Sharyn,

Oh, I how miss the mountains! Your post made me very homesick (in a good way). How true that those little things do sustain us when we take the time to recall them in our otherwise whirlwind days.

Thank you for the reminder!

Love,

Marqueta

vfonseca said...

As a business owner it isn't always possible to slip away and soak myself in the beauty of God's creation so I thank God for you bringing it to me instead. I also appreciate your words of encouragement and wisdom that accompany your work. Thank you for all you do.

Sharyn Sowell said...

V-

Very interesting you mention that... There has been much discussion in our home on the topic of business owners needing to get away for refreshment. I'd be interested if you were willing, to ask your opinion about that!

Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate is oh-so-much!

Sharyn

Debbie said...

Wonderful photos as always, Sharyn. Great capture of the osprey. You have such an artists eye and heart. Thanks for sharing.

Sharyn Sowell said...

Sharon A said:

No wonder you & Mr Wonderful love to go to this place! How beautiful!! I wanna go J
Love you!
Sharon

Sharyn Sowell said...

Leslie said:

Beautiful Sharyn,
It is fun to see some of the same flowers and more that we saw on our hike last weekend.
It was amazing to see the osprey with his fish!! Great shot!
God's creation really IS dazzling!!

love you!
Les