Saturday, January 7, 2012

Embracing the gray

"Why," she asked, "don't you color your hair? Don't you see there's gray creeping in there?"

I have to admit it's tempting sometimes. 
 
But I'm going with real instead.
 How do you make someone see that it's joyful to embrace the imperfections?
 
How do you explain that it's the gray in life that brings the colors out?
 
I've been noticing gray this week and taking great pleasure in it.


Gray little mushrooms on the forest floor...


... the restfulness of cool gray fog.


Gray has so many quiet shades we hardly ever notice.

But it brings peace to a view.
 
 
And how is it that so many with gray hair have an essence of peace to their spirits, too?
 
It's something to think about and aim for.
 

I looked up and saw a hawk soaring in the vastness of a gray winter sky.


Just beyond, the sunset was lovely in the soft monotone of a winter afternoon.


There are so many vibrant colors, and I treasure them all.
 
But sometimes the peace of gray brings rest and joy that all the colors of my paint box could not contain.


There can be great comfort in a little bit of gray.
 
Why hide it?

10 comments:

Mrs. Santos said...

Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I have been tempted lately to color my hair (never done it before) because of the grey coming in. Wavering for the same reason. Thank you for putting my own thoughts to such beautiful words and pictures.

God bless you.

Caroline Simas said...

Your gray hair is gorgeous! My mom did the same thing....it's salt and pepper and I just love it on her that way! And by the way, our brand new kitchen for this renovation we are doing is all white and gray! looove! xoxo
Caroline

Kathy Weller said...

I love this post, it is so reflective, smart and wise. <3

Phyllis Dobbs said...

Grey can beautiful as you pointed out with your beautiful photos!

Sandy said...

Gray's a wonderful color. I won't color my hair.

Sara said...

Gray is very peaceful and soothing...I love it. That gray mushroom is so delicate and delightful; I've never seen one of those.

Yes, I, too am being real where my hair is concerned. Why not, as you so beautifully say. My mother's hair actually turned pure white as she got into her 70's...

FabricFascination said...

I embraced my gray awhile ago. I figured God knew what He was doing.

Diane said...

Me too, Sharyn. I don't color my hair. I love the sparkle of the gray and wish it were ALL gray instead of salted and peppered.

:-) Hugs, Diane

Jeri Landers said...

This is truly a wise and thoughtful post.
I too, am not disturbed by " going gray", in fact, I embrace it. I stopped coloring my hair 8 years ago and it began to grow like a weed. It is down to my waist and when I find silver and and gray hairs throughout, I am actually pleased. I love those hairs! My husband, who is 2 years younger than me, has beautiful silvery white hair, which I also love.
Isn't it funny how our perspective changes as we age... maybe we actually do get a bit wiser. I hope so!
PS YES< YES< you will be able to get a signed book. Jeri

jana.kaye said...

Sharon, your posts are always a bit of rest in a hectic day. I remember my mom and I discovering some of your cards on day trips in Mount Vernon at the Pickle Barn, and someone pointed me to your blog a couple of years ago.

The Olwin daughters are friends of mine, too, so it makes me smile to see them here sometimes.

Thanks so much for the beautiful photography and restful moments you post here.