Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Bleeding heart in the garden


Spring is an embarrassment of riches, not the least of which is the unfolding of one's favorite plants, reappearing like old friends who show up for a reunion.

Bleeding hearts are popping up all over the garden here, probably because I love them so much that I add more almost every year. White ones are my particular favorites but those common pinks are delightful, too.


Even the shape of the foliage is so graceful...


Right after a shower I wander outside with the camera


I like to tell myself that I love perennials not just because they're easy (though that is definitely a great selling point) but also because the typical cottage garden plants have a humble beauty that never ends.

What are your favorite plants? And what do you love about them?


5 comments:

Brandi said...

Thank you for brightening my day with your beautiful photos! I do love bleeding hearts (that is what my mom calls those flowers), but my favorite flower is lavender because of it's delightful smell--and the fact that it requires little to no water! Gerbera daisies are beautiful too because they look like little happy faces. OH I can't wait for summer!

Lady Farmer said...

Favorite? How can one limit themself to one favorite! I have sooo many! I, too, love bleeding hearts, but I love roses (of course) and peonies, and foxgloves and delphiniums, and lavender, lilies,and....

J. Wecker Frisch said...

Beautiful as ever photos Sharyn. Hard to believe that your Spring is so far ahead of ours, in the Midwest. You can see by my blue bird photos today that our trees, plants, etc. are still quite bare and brown. Since I am in the woods and predominantly shaded, my favorites are the various Hydrangea, specifically the "Oak Leaf" variety. No sign of life yet, looked yesterday after our first warm day.

Debbie said...

I'm behind at reading my blogs, but I loved looking at your plants, since mine are just pushing up here near Chicago. The trees are budding and the magnolia trees are in bloom. I can't have tulips because the deer eat them before I see them ;- ) Your plants give me a peek into my spring to come. I love all my flowers. Lilies of the valley are like your spoon. The favorite of my childhood. I've added so many more as I've grown though. Thanks for you're lovely photos.

Sharyn Sowell said...

I like lilies of the valley, too, but mine aren't blooming yet... the Colette rose over the studio doorway will be lovely in June. And yes, foxgloves, delphiniums, the wild shooting stars and trillium, and who can ignore the speckled frittilaria? There is just so much to love about a garden.