Friday, May 7, 2010

Chaos in the studio

Every spring I tell myself I'll be more organized.

This year I have decided to give up that impossible promise and just go with the flow.

Did you notice the hiatus in posts? If you saw the chaos in the studio you would know why!


Getting ready for a New York show, writing some magazine articles, keeping up with deadlines and trying to lead a balanced life has left me hopeless when it comes to neatness. And many other things have been let go as well. The house looks almost as bedraggled and wild as the work space.

I am surrendering to the joy & freedom of a messy but very fertile studio!

Did I ever mention that I'm not much of a shopper?

Well, that does not apply when it comes to art supplies. I went to Letters of Joy, a calligraphy conference last week and acted like a true shopaholic! Above is an antique French inkstand I had to have. It even looks elegant on my paint-drizzled work table, waiting to be packed for the trip to New York, and less humble surroundings...


One of my favorite buys was this collection of German pearlescent paints, which has me swooning.
What dense, rich metallics! And they flow from the nibs like magic.

I was working on Christmas ornaments for ClothPaperScissors magazine here and oh, what fun. You will have to wait until their holiday issue if you want to see more because I am sworn to secrecy. But there's a glimpse at the beginning of the project which has been pure bliss. Truly~ pure bliss!



I probably won't post much until I get home from New York but then I will have so much arty goodness to share that I'll probably bore you silly with a zillion photos. Meantime here is a tell-all photo of the hurricane-like disaster I'm working in today.

Looks awful but it's better than a double root canal. That happens Wednesday. Shudder.

I'd better forget that and dip back into the ink pots!