Sunday, October 31, 2010

A pause


When we left for Hawaii, I planned to rest but I didn't plan to leave technology behind.

But that's what happened, and why I haven't blogged.


I didn't realize how overly plugged in I'd become. But in Hawaii, we didn't have much internet access and were forced to do what we needed so much: to leave the world for a while and simply rest.

It was good to pause and simply gaze at the sunset.


How wonderful the tropical fruits tasted! 
Candy for the eye as well as the mouth.
Snorkeling and playing in the waves made me feel six years old again.


This was the first time we have found ourselves on the beaches alone.
What pleasure to sit in silence and listen to the surf.


Imagine thinking you were kicking your toes in the sand, thinking yourselves alone.
Then you almost trip over a baby Hawaiian monk seal sunning himself!

Yes, we barely noticed in time, and thank goodness the little fellow never knew we were there.


You can see how hard he was to spot, over near a fishing buoy that had washed up on shore.


Have you seen the giant Hawaiian green sea turtles? 


The bodies of animals fascinate me, and it's such fun to be able to photograph them for reference later.


Are you interested in the details, too? Do you revel in the infinite creativity you see in nature, as I do?


Tomorrow I will show you some of the birds I watched in Hawaii. 
What fun to be able to share these things with you!