Sunday, November 14, 2010

Bare bones


At my feet a riot of color.
Strong winds and lashings of rain have swept the leaves away.


You can see the beautiful bones of the walnut, beech and maple now. Their essence and strength are revealed in ways we didn't see when they were clothed with summer's lush excess.


So it is when difficulty pares us down and the essence of a person shows through.
There is no hiding behind the temporary things. The real self is revealed.


And I am so thankful that I like what is shining through. 

It's been a season when many of my friends and yes, even I, have found in the autumn trees a metaphor for our own lives.
 
How wonderful that the roots are strong. The branches are holding firm. 
Let the winds blow. We're living lives that are deep.

It's autumn and there is much to be thankful for.