Thursday, May 5, 2011

New work, New York


I've been pouring a crazy amount of energy into my work lately. Earlier this year I decided I wanted to reinvent myself, to freshen and mix it up in a whole new way. 
It seems everyone's talking about following the trends- impossible for me.

I'm too much of a rebel. 
I have to go my own way.

But I was so comfortable with my usual way of working that I'd begin something fresh and then tear it up. (My awful little secret: for weeks I didn't produce a single thing worth saving. WEEKS! It was terrifying. I thought I was all washed up. Seriously. Over.)

Then after countless failed experiments, I discovered a new look that's purely me. It was on the very day I gave up and decided I was done. So I just played. And that was the answer.


 

Which is probably why I like the Oscar Wilde quote above and the Theodore Roosevelt one below.
I'm headed for New York next week with a big batch of my latest efforts.


They are bold.

They are bright.

And they're just me.


If I weren't heading for New York I think I'd lock myself in the studio with paper and paint, ink and brush, scissors and nibs and more paper... and not come out for a good long while.

Sometimes work is more fun than fun.
I am thanking God for ideas, inspiration, and the joy of creating something new.


This artist has turned over a whole new leaf and I'm loving it.

Look out New York, we're going to have FUN WITH WORDS.

10 comments:

Donna Timm said...

I'll try again--last comment didn't go through.

All I can say is WOW! Your new look is amazing and wonderful--in other words--just like you! I am praying that your time in NYC is just amazing. Hugs,Donna

Debbie said...

True artists, such as yourself, don't follow the trends, they set them ;- ) Van Gogh, Monet. I know that isn't the type of business you are in, but it is the same (and you'd like to make money before you are dead ha, ha). You have to follow where your artistic spirit leads you or everything looks the similar and there is less creative movement forward, less growth. Your work is wonderful and you must go where it leads and hopefully we follow. Good luck in NY. Glad your energy is flowing!
Hugs, debbie

Caroline Simas said...

Love the new look and inspiring words! xo

Marqueta (Mar-keet-a) said...

Dear Sharyn,

I absolutely love good quotes mixed with images; the combination of the two is so powerful. I also love the quotes you've chosen, and the colors, and everything! I am so excited for you to be going to New York and wish you the very best.

Love,

Marqueta

Christen said...

Your excitement is visible in this new body of work. NY will respond, many blessings on your upcoming trip~

Diane said...

It definitely makes me smile, Sharyn. YOU GO in NY!

Hugs, Diane

Susie Scott said...

Hi Sharyn,
Love your new work! Sorry I haven't been in touch. Have a great show in New York. I promise I will contact you soon and have a long missed chat!
Take care my friend.
My thoughts and prayers are always with you.
Susie

Susie Scott said...

Hi Sharyn,
I love your new work! I'm sorry I haven't been in touch with you for awhile. You have a great show in New York and I will get in touch with you soon for a long missed chat.
Take care my friend. You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

A big hug to you across the miles.
Susie

Sharon Hermens said...

Awesome!!! Have a ball in NY!!

Terri Conrad said...

sharyn, it's all breathtaking and clearly straight from the heart. May Surtex be a wonderful success for you, friend.