Saturday, July 4, 2009

Alaskan earth colors



I'm still thumbing through my Alaskan sketchbooks and sifting the photos...

I made an earthy palette trailside to refer back to and thought you might like to see it. Sometimes it's a surprise when you draw colors straight from nature only to see how shockingly different they appear when you isolate them from the whole.


That's what I thought when I pulled this color scheme together~ it's an unlikely combination, that's for sure.


Ferns both subtle and brilliant, side by side...




Blazingly bright hues that seem almost neon...but turn your head just a bit and there you see the most delicate of colors...






And yet somehow, when you view the entire composition, it all looks strikingly right, doesn't it?

Here's a color palette I drew from nature in my Alaskan sketchbooks...

If you are a color fiend as I am you might enjoy this website, chock full of inspiring palettes and color tips:

www.colourlovers.com

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Just a note to say, "Awesome!" I'm loving these postings of Alaska's beauty! Thank you for sharing and helping us all see them in a different light with the color palettes!

:)
Kathleen

P.S.--And for that matter I actually love all of your postings...the raspberry post was great!

Sharyn Sowell said...

Thanks, Kathleen. It is so beautiful in Alaska. If you haven't been yet you must put it on your list of places to visit. I have been there 5 times now via cruise ship and each visit I have been shocked at how few people go into the woods, preferring to stay in the gift shops near the docks. Rather sad when there are ferns and flowers, bear and ravens and so much else just waiting a couple miles away.

And thanks for the compliments... I hope all is well in NYC. Counting on seeing you next year if you're still there! If you find yourself my way you have to let me know!