Saturday, August 15, 2009

Composting beside the kitchen door



Upstairs on the deck, a few steps from the kitchen door, sits a plain cedar box.

The doggie pals love to sit beside it and gaze out at the garden and the fields beyond.





Inside that humble box a miracle is happening.

I fling my kitchen scraps into that box along with bits of newspaper and sprinkles of water and presto! In a few weeks the humble earthworms that live inside turn my old potato peels and apple cores into rich, organic compost.



That's why the tomatoes are so ruby red and juicy...




... the blooms are so sweet and the basil grows lusciously in my pots.

The humble little earthworms are working miracles just beyond the kitchen door.

We have a pair of big compost piles out in the garden that do the same thing on a grander scale, but today I am particularly smitten with one small cedar box of miracles.




If you want directions, pick up the book "Worms Eat My Garbage" and prepare yourself to be astounded by a simple transformation of trash to treasure that will leave you grinning.