Sunday, September 27, 2009

Hiking in the Cascades



Autumn is more lovely here than anywhere else I know.



The foliage is just beginning to look like fall and snow is forecast for the mountains on Tuesday.

So we took advantage of Sunday's brilliant blue skies, packed into Jim & Becky's jeep and tootled up the Mount Baker Highway toward the glaciers.




There we found mushrooms, huckleberries, the last of the blueberries hiding in foliage already turning the mountains to scarlet...





A hint of chill in the air didn't scare the bees away, though they were drowsy.

Ferns are dying back but the bronze tones were inspiring... I never thought to do ferns in these shapes. I never thought of turning their dainty tufts back in fancy curls like these either.




True confessions: I ate like a bear headed for hibernation, stuffing myself on tiny gems like this one. What a burst of flavor.



We returned refreshed. What glories we saw today.

Everyday miracles. Wow.




3 comments:

kjrem said...

You take amazing photos. It makes me feel like I am almost there with you. I wish I could be, I miss you. Have a wonderful day!

Kathleen said...

Hi Sharyn,

I can't help but write and just say how much I love your posts! Beautiful photos of your hike and beautiful words regarding your grandma's friend. I'm sure she treasured your time together as much as you did.

:)
Kathleen

Sharon Hermens said...

Sharyn, We just returned this evening from a long trip to NY, Niagara Falls and way around the other way to Mt. Rushmore!! Talk about color!! The Aspens were brilliant yellow way up in the mountains!! It was so exciting to see true fall (albiet a hint) colors. I haven't seen that in years! Your hike looked like much fun, pictures (as usual) beautiful and words profound!