Thursday, August 19, 2010

"What I would really love," he said, "is another blackberry pie."


And since it was his day off and I was longing to play hooky anyway, we pedaled away on our bikes for a glorious hour outdoors.

At this point I am hoping you're not groaning and muttering, "Oh no! Not more pictures of the glories of her beloved rural Northwest Washington!" 

If so I think you'd better not read on.


Because I am enamored of barns. Particularly when there are end-of-summer bales of hay in the surrounding fields.


Or charming hedgerows of berries just waiting to be popped into your mouth, framing the view so poetically.


Passing this barn we could hear laughter in the blueberry fields behind. 
Silly romantic me, I imagined they'd taken a pie-and-lemonade break from the sweaty farm work.


I will never tire of the rural views here.


There is a deep appreciation for the land and the source of our food. 


It's late summer, the corn is ripening, blackberries line the roads and life is very, very sweet.

4 comments:

Sharon Hermens said...

Well, I say..."wait for me. I want to come too!" I'm quite tired of having 18 days in a row of 100+ degrees!!! I never tire of your bike rides or your hiking to the woods or anything you do Sharyn. You are a joy.

Sharon Hermens said...

Are you willing to share your recipe? Have a great weekend.

Sharyn Sowell said...

It's a yummy one! First the crust, which came from Martha Stewart's website:
Sara’s Saucepan Pie Crust

* 1/3 cup cooking oil
* 1/4 cup water
* 1 cup self-rising flour
* French Coconut Pie

Directions

1. Bring cooking oil and water to boil in a small saucepan -- it takes just a few seconds! Then remove from heat.
2. Add 1 cup flour and stir. It will quickly pull away from the pan and form a ball. Don't overstir.
3. Place into a pie plate (non-greased) and wait a few minutes for it to cool enough so you can touch it with your fingers.
4. Press out evenly into the pan, pushing it up the sides with your fingers. Pinch a decorative edge. That's it!

Next I bake that yummy crust until it's just beginning to brown, then cool on the countertop.

Meanwhile gently rinse the berries and roll in a tea cloth.

In a saucepan, heat together fresh lemon juice, sugar and cornstarch thinned with a little water. Sorry- I do it my Grandma's way, by eye, not measurements. Cook until it's thick and add one drop of red food color. You can use some crushed berries in there if you have enough (I usually do this for more flavor.) Then cool.

Fill the pie crust with the berries, pour the sauce over all and refrigerate.

Top with whipped cream or ice cream when it's time to serve.

I warn you, it's addictive! And easy enough you may just find yourself making pie ridiculously often but if your family and friends are at all like mine, nobody's going to complain about too much pie!

jone hallmark said...

Dearest Sharyn -
LOVE the photos of that fruit and the bee on the blossom! Isn't it amazing how we can capture those incredible mpoments?
wow.....

would love to do a trade with you, my dear. Thanks for the comments on my blog. I have been swamped, but having a really great time with it all.

Ooooooo, I just adore your new goodies, too, with the photos and calligraphy and all....so nice!
Sure would be fun to see you again sometime....

At LEAST WE ARE IN TOUCH THROUGH AMAZING TECHNOLOGY...RIGHT?

xoxo