Sunday, February 6, 2011

Details, details, details

I just adore details, don't you?
When traveling, I find walking in ordinary neighborhoods far more intriguing than the tourist attractions.

 

... which explains how I wore out two pair of shoes and happened to spot these gorgeous umbrellas in Greece a few months ago.
I love the monochromatic color scheme, the angles of the wooden supports, and the contrast of that brilliant blue sky.


The gentle curves and shadow play...
that irresistible shade of lime.


Commonplace items seem almost sculptural when looked at with fresh eyes.

Why do I forget to notice similar items at home?


Texture layered over texture




the play of texture and color in windows
 hinges
doors
 along a dock...


I love the homey details you see all over Europe.


Take a peek at the doors! 
Oh my goodness, every door seems to have details galore.

It's enough to make a woman drool in public.


The handles and knobs alone give me a serious case of hardware envy.



And the windows are every bit as delicious.

You see window boxes everywhere (why do we not have this on our house?)
and shutters.
But of all the details to be treasured, no matter where in the world we may be...

better than any of the rest...

far more captivating and complex than anything else

people remain the most precious and fascinating.

Who are the faces behind the windows?
What stories lay beyond the facade?

9 comments:

Sharon Hermens said...

How nice to visit some places you visited in Greece. I love the brilliant colors of the houses and also the architectural beauty of all the metal works. I know what you mean by drooling..I get very verbal when I see something that just makes my insides giggle. Must be my ADD!! I hope one of the first things you do when you finish your "cottage" (my words)
is you put up some window boxes. That will be the finishing touch!!!

momto2wasd said...

I love that picture of the lady in the window! I have always thought myself a bit strange, but I love to look into windows and wondering what kind of everyday life thing is happening. I love to hear people's stories. Just regular stories of everyday things. I look at the woman there, and imagine that she's my long-lost relative (I'm half Greek!) or some such story.

Any chance your trip to Greece will be the inspiration for a fabric line?

Sharyn Sowell said...

Hi Cathy

I’d love for that to happen. One never knows what they’ll pick up... or not! But I’m working my sketchbook pretty hard right now so time will tell.

Smiles
Sharyn

Debbie said...

I too, wonder about the people who live lives so different from me, in such different locals. I've even wondered what it would be like to be them for a day, not that I don't love being me, but to know what it really feels like to live that life in that place and surroundings at that time. Our differences are so interesting.

Sharyn Sowell said...

From Leslie

Sharyn,
as usual, you blow me away with your pictures!!!
I love them all!!
It looks so warm there!
I miss warm!

Diane said...

Sharyn, beautiful photos. A wonderful way to spend some time during these cabin fever days - looking through pictures of warmer times!
Hugs, Diane

Jane Farr said...

Beautiful photos Sharyn! Thank you for the nice comment on my blog. I see that we also have recent trips to Greece in common! :) I do hope you'll participate in the Mail Art Around the World project.
My best to you!
Jane

Rose ~Victorian Rose ~ said...

EYE CANDY INDEED !!
The image of the woman in the window...is lovely.
But the one that really, really made me drool..( as you said ) was the blue/green handle against the reddish wood.
In fact, if you could or would I would dearly LOVE to have a copy of that image...only larger...I have a project that I would like to make and surprise you with if I could.
I would need it about 600 pixels or so... on the longest side if you have saved it that size if you were to consider sending it to me.
My addy is :-
Victorianrose07@gmail.com


I admire your sense for things of beauty, that most people may not even notice.
Please stop over at my blog for a peek when you have a minute.

Many thanks, Rose

Sharyn Sowell said...

Hello, Rose,

Oh, that is high praise coming from a photographer of such calibre as yourself. Thank you! I do have the photo in a higher resolution. I will send it to you soon and yes, I peek in on your blog often! Will sneak on over for a look right now.

Thanks much!