Sunday, January 17, 2010

A new skill



I bought some yarn and dug out an old crochet hook, and made a wonderful pair of fingerless gloves last week, and while the gloves were a satisfying project it only ignited that old simmering wish...

I've always longed to know how to knit... to accomplish the magic of turning a simple ball of wool into a sweater, a pair of socks,  or a cosy of blanket to drape over the back of the sofa.




So this weekend when Emily showed up, knitting needles in hand, we couldn't resist a trip to our local yarn shop, which is packed with delicious yarns of every sort.

Soon Em had me casting on, knitting and purling with glee.



What a perfect pastime for a chilly January evening.








4 comments:

Diane said...

Well hello, Sweet Friend! You are doing beautifully!!! I also enjoy knitting and crocheting but have to admit it's been many years since I made anything other than a scarf. I love the natural color of the yarn you've chosen!
Thank you for the "trip" to Atlanta via your pictures and best wishes for the success of your artwork on all of your beautiful products!
I'm busy photoshopping! Practicing but goofing up! No matter! It will all come in due time! In the meantime, what I've been doing has been fun! And that's what it's all about at this point for me - to make it FUN before I move on to the SERIOUS stuff! LOL!
Thank you for all of you kind help and patience!
Blessings,
Diane

BJ Lantz said...

Very cool. My grandmother taught me how to crochet many moons ago and I have often thought of taking it up again, but decided I didn't need one more wrist-taxing activity!

Brandi said...

Wow, I love to knit too but can't get past just basic scarves and hats--I am so impressed you made some fingerless gloves! I've always wanted a pair of those...they'd be perfect for early spring gardening and outdoor work! Thanks for the inspiration!!

Caroline Simas said...

Gorgeous! Just like everything else you create! And how wonderful to learn from your niece Emily. I would love to learn to knit and to sew...my sweet mother made so many clothes and beautiful things for us on her sewing machine but she said I would not put the paintbrushes down to learn! And so now I must add these things to the long and growing list of skills I wish to tackle one day! Blessings my new friend and I am so grateful we met in Atlanta. You are a treasure!
Blessings,
Caroline