Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I went to buy two cherry trees...

 

Anne and I went back to the nursery today.
Anne had her list and I had mine.
Hers was long and took up half a sheet of paper. Mine was short and in my head.
Two cherry trees.


I never made it to the bare root section.
There were too many lovely blossoms calling my name. I ran out of time before I could run my fingers over the slim tree trunks and ponder the poetic names of the trees.

I was stuck amid the flowers.

Sweetly scented hydrangeas.
Viburnum just beginning to open, when mine are still just tightly closed buds.
Hothouse tulips.

Narcissus.
Hellebores.
Fritillaria.





Ranunculus.

Oh the gorgeous colors! The thousand petals unfurling at once...


Aren't they gorgeous?


Never have we enjoyed such an early spring, so there's plenty of time for dreaming of the garden.

Next week I will have another nursery outing and I promise myself I'll beeline for the bare root section. If I can get past the temptations blossoming in the front of the garden first!

12 comments:

sue z said...

Such inspiring photos. I have always loved that tulip with the checker
design on it. I just saw your new fabric collections on the CW blog, they look fabulous! Congrats!

Lady Farmer said...

I always get sidetracked in the nursery section, too! I never go with a list, but I always come home with just what I needed! ;~}
Blessings!

Debbie said...

You're torturing me. I live in the upper midwest and am tired of winter. Even my son says he's tired of winter on the way to school in the morning. Lovely photos! I can't wait to see my garden in bloom again. Pictures will have to do for now ;- )

Caroline Simas said...

beautiful!!!!! I love spring and can't wait until it's all in full bloom!

Debi Ward Kennedy said...

I think there should be warning signs all over Christianson's, because this happens to me EVERY TIME I go there!!!! So much beauty to distract!

Sharyn Sowell said...

You should have seen it today. Even Primrose, the little gift store, was crammed with eye candy so dainty & tempting I could hardly resist. Went home with a cloche last week and I'm already dying for another one. Not to mention an insatiable temptation for perennials, two Montmorency cherries, an Italian plum and a new trowel. Oh my.

Yes, early spring is the best it's ever been. If anyone wants to join me, I've got a welcoming cup of tea at the ready!

J. Wecker Frisch said...

Sharyn - Stunning photos! I can smell these beauties. Thank you and whoa, praise God, huh? Incredible. Yours is my last stop before beginning the work day, perfect.

Sharon Hermens said...

Wow! My peonies and hydrangias were budding and THEN we received 10" of snow!!!! I wish I could grow these flowers you are showing. I don't know if they will gwow here in the hot summers of TX. But, I can enjoy your pictures and they are wonderful! Thanks for remembering us with your sweet trips to the nursery. I love going on virtual trips with you!!

Brandi said...

Ohhhh it makes me long for spring! Gorgeous photos, thank you for brightening my days as always!

jone hallmark said...

Ranunculas are my very favorite flower in the entire world....
thank you for the extraordinary photographs from the nursery...
....heaven......

xo

dianne said...

WOW! Your photo's are Beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing!

Michele said...

gorgeous, thanks for sharing!