Friday, July 3, 2009

Raspberry season



Raspberry season.

I guess we all have our weaknesses and mine is raspberries. Or even better, raspberries and chocolate.


Which explains how it is that I've made (and eaten) raspberry chocolate cupcakes, raspberry muffins, raspberries over chocolate mousse, salmon with raspberry sauce, fresh greens from the garden tossed with (you guessed it!) raspberry dressing...


This afternoon Anne and I spent an hour picking berries. She left with a kettle full of juicy red berries. I have a nice small pan full and lips stained pink. If there's such a thing as a raspberryaholic, I am one.


I've promised to bake a raspberry pie for tomorrow's picnic, so I'm headed to the grocery for whipping cream and cream cheese.

Here's my mom's deliciously simple recipe, guaranteed to vanish the moment you serve it:




Raspberries and cream pie

A baked pie shell (chocolate is extra good)
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 pint whipping cream, whipped and sweetened with 1/3 c sugar, flavored with lemon zest and 1/2 t. vanilla
Fresh raspberries

Fold together cream cheese and whipped cream and turn into the pie shell. Top generously with berries. Refrigerate at least 6 hours. Serve chilled. Can top with more whipped cream, more berries and chocolate shavings if desired.

If you like, you can make a glaze of raspberries, water, sugar and cornstarch and cool slightly. Pour warm glaze over the berries.