Friday, January 29, 2010

Mary Engelbreit

I've always admired Mary Engelbreit but never more than when I met her in Atlanta a couple weeks ago.

Strolling with my friend Jane through the showrooms, we happened to find her in a showroom alone. What a lovely little chat we had before the crowds came in and she got back to signing prints and taking photos.

The thing that delighted me about her most was the way she has stayed true to herself. She's not full of herself, she's ordinary in the very nicest sense of the word, a friend-next-door kind of woman. I have admired her art for years but now that I've met her and talked with her I would honestly have to say I like the Mary behind the art even more than her art.


Three cheers for Mary Engelbreit and the other artists whose imagery makes the world a brighter place. 

And here's to imagination, creativity and gumption. And cherries, scotties and lovely women like Mary.