Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Bleeding heart in the garden


Spring is an embarrassment of riches, not the least of which is the unfolding of one's favorite plants, reappearing like old friends who show up for a reunion.

Bleeding hearts are popping up all over the garden here, probably because I love them so much that I add more almost every year. White ones are my particular favorites but those common pinks are delightful, too.


Even the shape of the foliage is so graceful...


Right after a shower I wander outside with the camera


I like to tell myself that I love perennials not just because they're easy (though that is definitely a great selling point) but also because the typical cottage garden plants have a humble beauty that never ends.

What are your favorite plants? And what do you love about them?