Sunday, April 24, 2011

Pies and more pies

I am on a pie baking streak.
A rather delectable habit.


Blueberry pies made from the last of summer's bounty, pulled from the freezer.


I baked a blackberry rhubarb topped with pecan streusel, using up my stash of precious blackberries (also from the freezer) and the first rhubarb of spring.


Last night it was a plain-but-oh-so-delicious strawberry pie which four of us devoured as if we were starving men marooned on an island.
I practically had them kissing the hem of my apron!

Just imagine my joy this morning when I discovered next summer's pies blossoming on our montmorency cherry trees in the garden.


Yesterday there were only buds, and in the pink light of Easter's dawn, this morning the cherries burst into bloom. I can hardly wait for the round red fruits, perfect to tuck into a flaky crust.

Here's a picture of last year's cherry crop for inspiration and dreaming!

Would you like a wonderful olive oil pie crust recipe to get you started?

Olive Oil Pie Crust
In a saucepan, warm 1/4 c water and 1/3 c olive oil until it begins to boil. This takes only a minute or two. Then stir in 1/8 t salt, 1 1/2 t baking powder, and 1 c flour. Blend with a fork until it forms a dough, then press with your fingertips into a pie pan and bake or fill and bake. 

It's a tender, flaky, simple-as-can-be piecrust I guaranteed you will love!

Will you try it and let me know what you baked? 
There is nothing sweeter than pie. Nothing.